Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Linux app

Today I got advice that Linux drivers are not that high in demand, and I'd do better to work on making apps for Linux.

Here's an animation program for fun.





It is big for what it does.  10MB.

All I did was take a previous Unity3D project of mine and built it for Linux (on my Windows machine).  Anyone can get the latest or older versions of Unity for free for Windows, OSX or by now almost certainly for Linux, and build an app for a Linux target.

Builds tend to be bloated (at least that was what I saw with iOS apps compared to similar iOS apps built only with XCode), and the only other tool I've heard of as a standard is Qt, which comes already installed in Linux Mint 17.3.

-------------

Also, it might be interesting to look at libusb.sourceforge.net to build USB access into a Unity3D app.  I found nothing for libusb in the Unity asset store.

For example a use case might be a USB dongle that has to be plugged in to let the app run.


Postscript
On my iMac which is running Linux, I have the GPU disabled due to missing drivers.  So this app runs unbearably slow.  This begs the question if a Unity app with no hardware support would still be okay if it was just comparable to a Qt app - i.e. just UI elements and not much 3D.

No comments:

Post a Comment