Tuesday, December 22, 2015

The Harass-Justify Pattern

I did not even want to write about this.  Then I load youtube to watch a tutorial on Scala, and up pops this ad!

I had already written this article in my head, decided I didn't want to write about it, and then I see exactly the ad I was thinking about, all in a matter of about 1 minute.

Okay!  I'll write about it!  Here's a screenshot of the ad:


Harass

The ad starts out by saying "these are real people".  I.e. they are not actors, other than the guy throwing eggs at them.

As the people go to sit down at the table, the man in the middle throws eggs and the real people jump in surprise.


Justify

If you didn't skip the ad, the middle man explains something about "life is hard to respond to when there are surprises" or something along those lines.  The justification for the harassment of throwing eggs at complete strangers is "I have some insight to share."


The Pattern

Whether or not the insight is valuable is not really interesting to me.  What is interesting is that the 2 behaviors "harass" and "justify" are presented in combination.  Throwing an egg by itself isn't enough.  And justification by itself apparently isn't enough either.  It is a theatrics pattern.

That's all... I'm going to watch about Scala now.


POSTSCRIPT

This is really obsession-compulsion, where "harass" is the compulsive behavior ("I must"), and "justify" is the obsessive thinking.  The justify is like a broken record that keeps playing over and over again.  There's some projection of "if everyone only could see what I'm obsessing about, they would understand my harassing behavior".  Such thinking is fantasy.

I guess the pattern could be generalized into Powerplay-Justify.  It's a "when words are many, sin is not far..." sort of thing.  Something about it doesn't smell right, as opposed to people operating in a natural outflow.

We could ask "what is source of obsessive thinking?"  There is a source.

No comments:

Post a Comment